Reflections Call For Entries!
This year we will have several options for students to submit their work
1. Drop off at the school on October 29th, 30th, or November 2nd in the bin in front of the office. Please make sure to include the entry form.
2. Email your entry form and artwork to email@example.com. If your file is too large to send as an attachment, please let us know and we will coordinate a way to submit your work.
Check out the video at the link below for some tips on how to take a good photo of your artwork!
Reflections is a National PTA arts recognition program that helps students explore their own thoughts, feelings and ideas, develop artistic literacy, increase confidence, and find a love for learning that will help them become more successful not only in school, but in life.
Students in grades pre-K through 12 create original works of art in response to a theme. The theme for the 2020-2021 program year is "I Matter Because. . ." Students submit their completed works of art in one or more of the six arts categories. All Ben Franklin students are invited to showcase their talents!
While the primary focus of Reflections is a celebration of creativity through positive recognition, finalists from local PTAs will move on to their council PTA, then finalists from councils will move on to the state round. Washington State PTA finalists who receive an “Outstanding Interpretation” award will advance to the National PTA round.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
A student may submit an entry in any of six arts areas. Only original works are accepted. The six art areas are:
- Literature – works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, prose, drama, short stories and lyrics.
- Music Composition – original musical composition, with or without words.
- Photography: color or black and white, included techniques: photogram, negative sandwich, and multiple exposure.
- Visual Arts: drawing, painting in tempera, oil, acrylic, watercolor & t-shirt paints, computer generated art, two-dimensional collage, printmaking, needlework & leather tooling (3-D artwork is not being accepted this year)
- Film/Video: original works, with or without sound, of animation, narrative, documentary, experimental or music video/film.
- Choreography/Dance: originally choreographed dance composition.
Works will be reviewed by volunteer judges from the community based on the following criteria
- Interpretation: How closely the piece relates to the theme, based on the artwork itself and the artist statement.
- Creativity: How creative and original the piece is in its conception of the theme and its presentation.
- Technique: The level of skill demonstrated in the basic principles/techniques of the arts area.
SPECIAL ARTIST ELIGIBILITY
The National PTA Special Artist Division is an option for students with disabilities who receive services under IDEA or ADA: Section 504 to have the opportunity and accommodations they may need in order to participate fully in the program. The Special Artist Division offers modified rules and guidelines to ensure that every student has the chance to be part of the National PTA Reflections® program. Click here for Special Artist rules and guidelines.
WE'RE GOING VIRTUAL!
This year, students will be able to submit their Reflections entries via email as well as in person. The deadline is Monday, November 2nd and entry forms as well as instructions for submission are available now. We will also accept physical entries at the school for those who prefer. Click here for the entry form.
If you have questions or would like to request art supplies, please contact Diana Wu and Amber Wood at firstname.lastname@example.org
For some inspiration, check out the artwork from Franklin students who advanced to the Council level last year!